Date: 14th August 2009 at 12:55am
Written by:

Match Report from The Crown Ground
Accrington Stanley 2-1 Walsall
Carling Cup Round One
Tuesday 11th August 2009.

THE last time Accrington Stanley made it past the First Round of the Carling Cup, it was a Paul Mullin goal that knocked the then League One side Nottingham Forest out in the opener.

That was in 2006, and after First Round exits to Leicester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers in the last two years, Mullin popped up once again to send the Reds through to a tie against Championship side Queens Park Rangers.

John Coleman’s side battled back from being a goal down after just nine minutes at The Crown Ground, and saw Mullin’s stoppage time winner send them through after substitute Bobby Grant had levelled the game almost instantly after the break.

Stanley made just one change from the side that lost to Rotherham United on the opening day of the season, with Andrew Procter, who was suspended for the trip to The Don Valley Stadium, coming in to replace Grant who dropped to the bench.

Procter also took the captains armband for the first time after replacing Peter Cavanagh as skipper, after Cav was banned from football for eight months for illegal betting.

Onto the game though and it was the League One side who started brightest, taking the lead when Alex Nicholls squeezed his effort past onloan goalkeeper Alan Martin inside ten minutes, converting a Jamie Vincent free kick.

The after 30 minutes, Walsall captain Rhys Weston was red carded for a challenge on Phil Edwards, that at first looked like a leg braker as he lunged in. The tackle infuriated Assistant Manager Jimmy Bell who sprung out from the dug out to put his opinion forward.

The Half Time whislte sounded with Stanley trailing but on top, but the big difference was made five minutes after half time when Grant replaced left back Chris King, who scored after just three minutes of being on the field, netting from the edge of the area.

At this point I must admit I was willing the Reds on more than ever, as I had an accumulator on that would win me £600, and at that point all games were going in my favour apart from Stanley, who I needed to score again.

And just as the game looked to be heading into 30 minutes of extra time, Mullin nodded home a Sean McConville cross to send Stanley into the second round and win me £600… Or so I thought.

Turns out Carlisle scored in the 89th minute against Oldham, a game which I had down as a draw. That was the only result that went against me. I never have liked Carlisle…!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY: Martin, Kempson, Edwards, Winnard, C King (Grant 51), Joyce, Procter, Ryan, Miles, Kee (McConville 81), P Mullin.

SUBS: Dunbavin, Murphy, Symes, G King, Turner.