Date: 29th May 2007 at 9:01am
Written by:

SORRY to break all your hearts, but it’s the penultimate part of the Vital Accrington Stanley Season Review 2006/07.

Read the Pre-Season review by clicking HERE

Read Part One of the review by clicking HERE

Read Part Two of the review by clicking HERE

Well, here we are. The last third of the historic 2006/07 season is now upon us, so lets get cracking with it, and I have to say before I begin, it’s not my fault that each section has started with defeat.

Accrington Stanley welcomed Chester City to the Fraser Eagle Stadium on Saturday 3rd February, but unfortunately Chester rode out of East Lancashire with all three points, 1-0 the scoreline.

Stanley then hit the road, and perfected the smash and grab technique, beating nine man Barnet 2-1. Goals from Andy Todd and Andy Proctor winning the game for the Reds.

Back home to entertain Stockport County, and their fantastic support. They were a pleasure to have around the ground and in the pubs around the ground. The result wasn’t that important, but if you want to know, which you do because your reading the season review, so County won the game 1-0.

Three defeats and two draws followed as Stanley went six games without a victory.

Defeats to Darlington, Rochdale and Swindon Town aswel as draws at home to Lincoln and Bristol Rovers capped off another poor Stanley run of form.

So we go swifty in to the last ten games of Stanley’s first season back in the Football League for just over 44 years.

The Reds brought their unacceptable run to an end, with victory over the now relegated Torquay United. Helen Chamberlain, you can’t say ‘Accrington Stanley who are they? Exactly!’ no more can you? The game ended with a 1-0 scoreline.

What’s this? Another win? Is this right, Accrington Stanley won TWO games in a row? Yes, and what a great win it was. Hereford United, the team that joined Stanley in the Football League, after winning a nail-biting Conference Play-Off final at the Millenium Stadium.

Hereford had beaten Stanley earlier in the season, but John Coleman’s boys got revenge, winning 2-0 in front of a Stanley crowd of just over 1,800.

Back on the coach, and back on the road, this time heading to league leaders Walsall. Stanley on paper had no chance down at their ground, but Stanley almost proved SkySports and BBC and the long list of ‘experts’ wrong. Stanley lost the game 3-2, but at one point in the game Stanley held a 2-1 lead after a Paul Mullin strike.

Stanley helped me on my way to enjoying a fantastic birthday, as they beat Peterborough United 3-2 at the Fraser Eagle Stadium, thanks to goals from Jay Harris and a brace from Andy Todd.

A dull bank holiday fixture saw Stanley lose narrowly to another of the leagues leaders, Hartlepool United. This time the Reds couldn’t get themselves on the scoresheet and the game ended 1-0.

Now, in my opinion the greatest result of the season, as Stanley brushed Grimsby Town aside with ease, finishing the game with four goals.

It was also a record breaking game, as Paul Mullin wrote himself in to Stanley’s record books. The forwards 172nd goal for the club came in his record 362nd appearance for the club. There was also goals from Andy Todd, Shaun Doherty and Peter Cavanagh, as the game ended 4-1.

Stanley needed more wins, as they could still be mathematically relegated, and sitting just a place above the drop zone, there were a lot of nervous, edgy people in the Stanley crowd.

It didn’t help having to visit another club up at the summit of the league, this time it was Shrewsbury, who were fighting for a Play-Off place. Stanley lost the game 2-1 after Paul Mullin had put the Reds in to the lead at Gay Meadow.

One win. Thats all was needed for safety. And it came in the following game, Stanley beating Paul Ince’s Macclesfield Town 3-2, and plunging the Silkmen in to more danger. A Andy Proctor double, the highlight of the game, which was the last home game of the 2006/07 campaign.

The last game of the season was one to enjoy, as there was absolutely nothing to play for. Stanley going down 3-1 at MK Dons’ National Hockey Stadium.

So the League Two campaign was over and done with for another season, but there was still the small matter of the Lancashire Senior Cup Quater-Final tie against Premiership side Bolton Wanderers. Stanley lost the game 2-1 after a blistering start to the game.

Thankyou for reading the Season Review series, and make sure you stay on the site to view all transfer and Pre-Season news as Stanley look to build ahead of a second season in the Football League.

You can always join the discussion on the site’s messageboard by simply registering. When you register you also get to vote on the site’s poll’s aswel as suggesting a story or poll for the site. We hope to see you soon.