Date: 29th May 2007 at 8:59am
Written by:

WELL, here it is. The feature you’ve all been waiting for, its Part Two of the world famous Vital Accrington Stanley Season Review 2006/07.

Read the Pre-Season review by clicking HERE

Read Part One of the review by clicking HERE

Just like Part One, I’m afraid to say that, we have to start with defeat, so here we go.

Stanley travelled to Hereford United, the team that followed the Reds up in to the Football League after winning the Conference Play-Offs, which of course Stanley didn’t need because we were too busy winning the title.

The Bulls left Stanley travelling back up North empty handed, as somehow they pulled off a 1-0 win, don’t ask me how because I really don’t know how they managed to win the game.

Stanley welcomed Blackpool with open arms to the Fraser Eagle, as the League One outfit looked to knock Stanley out in the Johnstons Paint Trophy Second round, but it wasn’t to be fore the Seasiders.

After a thrilling 90 minutes the game was tied at 4-4, Ian Craney, Andy Todd, Paul Mullin and Robbie Williams with the vital goals for Stanley. The Reds won the game 4-2 on penalties to progress in to the Quater Finals.

Back to the league and back to a shambolic run of form. Six defeats and two draws in a sequence of eight games saw Stanley drop nervously close to the relegation zone.

Peterborough United, Hartlepool United, Grimsby Town and MK Dons picked all three points up in their games against Stanley, with Shrewsbury Town and Macclesfield Town only managing draws.

Stanley were also dumped out of two cups in the run of eight games. Mansfield Town the victors in the F.A. Cup First Round, whilst Doncaster Rovers were 2-0 winners in the Quater Finals of the Johnstons Paint Trophy.

A 3-2 win over Rochdale in the First Round of the Lancashire Senior Cup followed, as Andy Mangan, Shaun Whalley and youth team forward Andy Smith fired Stanley in to the next round.

Back to the league and back to normaility of the times. Yes you’ve guessed it, defeat.

Bristol Rovers, tore Stanley apart, smashing four goals past a hopeless Ian Dunbavin, the Reds couldn’t manage to get any in reply so the game ended with a 4-0 scoreline.

Hold your hats, theres a win coming up, but unfortunately it’s not yet as Stanley could only manage a point at home to Bury, 1-1 the full time score.

Here it is, the one you’ve all been waiting for since reading there was a win coming up in the last paragraph, Stanley 3-1 Wrexham!

Paul Mullin, David Brown and a Andy Todd penalty securing Stanley’s first three points since the end of October (and the game was played in January).

Back to what Stanley fans had started to get used to, as the Redsost 1-0 away at Boston United, before tasting defeat again the following Saturday as Notts County picked up three points with a 2-1 win.

Stanley got revenge on Mansfield Town for knocking them out of the F.A. Cup in the First Round, by beating them 3-2 at the Fraser Eagle Stadium.

Time to wrap it up now, so lets finish with a trip to Wycombe Wanderers. Well basically it was a bore draw, 1-1 the score as Stanley battled back from 1-0 down.

The conclusion to the season also known as Part Three is also on the site now.