Date: 21st April 2007 at 5:31pm
Written by:

Stanley fell 2-1 to Shrewsbury Town at Gay Meadow leaving them only two points above the drop, as Boston United and Wrexham won. Stanley saw two goals disaloud in a game which Stanle can hold their hads high after a great performance against a team that is chasing the play-offs.

Stanley did go ahead though. Paul Mullin opened the scoring with his 16th goal of the season to put Accrington Stanley ahead on 9 minutes. Young midfielder Jay Harris saw his powerpacked shot palmed by Shrews ‘keeper Scott Shearer, lukily the rebound fell straight to the danger man who put the ball in the back of the net with ease.

Mullin’s goal was completely against the run of play, with Shresbury looking like taking the lead.

Rommy Boco had the ball in the net shortly after as Stanley began to look more energetic. Boco unleashed a absolute peach which thundered off Shearer’s post and in to the net, but the linesman claimed Rommy was offside, so it stayed 1-0.

Shrewsbury did get their goal though. Shrewsbury Town equalised on 33 minutes thanks to a Neil Ashton goal, the goal coming direct from a corner kick.

Sean Doherty saw yellow for ‘diving’ in the Shrewsbury penalty area, something that he didn’t do. Doherty had his ankle clearly taken out but the referee said no and that it was a dive. The referee had an absolute shocker, giving everything to Shrewsbury Town. What a disgrace he was!

Half-Time: Shrewsbury Town 1-1 Accrington Stanley

In the second half and it was now when things turned bad for Stanley. Ben Davies, who VitalStanley, had realised as Shrewsury’s danger-man put Shrewsbury ahead on 63 minutes. Davis was booked for unsporting behaviour in the process.

Substitute David Brown thundered his shot against one post, which then rolled accross Scott Shearer’s line before hitting the other post. Stanley fans and players claimed for a goal as the ball did look as though it crossed the line, but it wasn’t to be.

It got worse though. Boston United and Wrexham won in their respective games, leaving Stanley only two points from safety, making next Saturday’s game at the Fraser Eagle Stadium against Paul Ince’s Macclesfiel vital. Macclesfield were trashed 5-0 by Rochdale today so hopefully the Reds can pick up something against them on Saturday!