Date: 6th October 2007 at 11:07am
Written by:

ACCRINGTON STANLEY returned home to the Fraser Eagle Stadium after a fantastic 3-0 victory over Yorkshire rivals Bradford City at The Intersonic Stadium, with high confidence and high hopes.

But confidence and hopes were dashed as Neil Roberts simply tore the Accrington back four apart. His double ensured Wrexham would be leaving East Lancashire with all three points.

This fixture last season ended in a 5-0 scoreline, with Stanley getting all of the points on that day. All five goals coming in the space of half of an hour, but I’m sure Stanley fans would have settled for a draw after their side’s awful display.

It was Accrington who started the game strongest and almost had the lead inside 10minutes but Captain Peter Cavanagh’s well hit powerful strike was excellently saved by Red Dragons keeper Anthony Williams and the scores remained level.

Three minutes later though, totally against the run of play, it was Wrexham’s turn to almost take the lead. Michael Proctor’s lightening effort from around 25-yards sailed over the bar, but what a goal it would have been.

Wrexham continued their short spell of pressure, as Danny Williams forced Accrington’s stand in keeper Ian Dunbavin in to a making a fantastic save, before Chris Llewellyn saw his shot also saved by Dunbavin, who is in the squad after Kenny Arthur broke his leg in midweek against Bradford.

Stanley hitman Paul Mullin almost gave Accrington the advantage minutes later, but he headed Peter Cavanagh’s free-kixk wide of the target. Then came the ultimate sucker-punch, as Wrexham took the lead.

Roberts, striking a perfect curling shot past a helpless Dunbavin in the Stanley net, to hand Brian Carey’s struggling side a massive boost.

PFA Player of the Month for August and September, Andy Proctor should have levelled the scoring back up with four minutes remaining before the Half-Time whistle, but he somehow managed to miss the target all together with a close range header.

Half-Time: Accrington 0-1 Wrexham

Stanley again started the half better, and bossed the opening proceedings of the Second Half, but when David Brown cut through the Wrexham back line to see his shot roll wide of the far post, you just knew it wasn’t going to be Stanley’s night.

Steve Evans saw his header easily saved by Dunbavin as the strugglers looked to put the game to bed, but to be fair it was already over. Brown went close again at the other end, this time his shot was well saved by Williams.

Roberts strook again in the 66th minute, hitting a fantastic shot in to the bottom left of Dunbavin’s goal to make sure that the three points were heading back to Wales with Wrexham.

Roscoe D’Sane again had a great game for Stanley, and he almost handed Accrington a lifeline but his net bound effort was blocked by impressive Wrexham stopper Williams. Lee McEvilly missed two golden chances to get Stanley back into the game, firstly firing a shot straight at Williams before heading the ball wide of the target.

The Full-Time whistle blew leaving Accrington feeling hard done by, but it’s the scoreline that counts, and Stanley drop out of the Top Half on goal difference, as Wrexham climb out of the bottom two.

Accrington Stanley: Dunbavin, Cavanagh, Richardson (Whalley 70), Williams, Roberts, Webb, Proctor, Carden, Brown (Miles 72), D’Sane (McEvily 72), Mullin.

Subs Not Used: Fearon, Boco.

Booked: Webb.

Wrexham: A Williams, Pejic, Hope, D Williams (Evans 46), Spender, Taylor, Garrett, Mark Jones, Llewellyn, Roberts (E Williams 86), Proctor.

Subs Not Used: Michael Jones, Done, Crowell.

Goals: Roberts 37, 66.

Att: 1,822

Ref: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire).