Date: 2nd September 2007 at 2:16pm
Written by:

ACCRINGTON Stanley hit rock bottom last night after a third consecutive league defeat, this time at the hands of Peterborough United.

Two second half red cards saw Stanley end the match with only nine men, and it could have been more than 2-0 but thanks to goalkeeper Kenny Arthur making a number of saves including a penalty save, Stanley stayed in the game until the dying minutes when the Posh bagged their second.

The day its self was an historic one as Stanley finally opened the Clayton End along with it’s newly built roof, and John Coleman was hoping that the roof could raise the noice in the Fraser Eagle Stadium, but the fans never really had anything to shout about with Stanley clearly second best.

Jamie Day had a fantastic opening half on the left flank for the visitors and it was his whipped in cross from the left that could have seen Darren Ferguson’s men go in front. As Day dinked the perfect ball over the top of Staney’s back line and found Aaron McLean, Graham Branch dragged the big man down and left the referee with little option but to point to the spot.

McLean stepped up to take the penalty himself and I bet he wishes he hadn’t as his penalty was fantastically saved down to his right by Arthur who had a fantastic game dispite the ending scoreline.

Stanley really only created one chance in the match and I am sure that Coleman would have been less than happy with that. It came when Rommy Boco fired his tight angled shot towards goal only to see it scrape the top of the Posh crossbar and go behind for a goalkick.

Peterborough had a goal ruled out for offside shortly before the half time break with Day slotting home Craig Morgan’s nod on in the area and the scores remained deadlocked as the half time whistle blew.

It didn’t take long for the visitors to grab the lead after half time though. Ten minutes into the second period and The Posh had a deserved lead. Arthur made a fantastic quick save to stop McLean putting the ball in the back of the net from close range, but moments later following a free kick just outside the edge of the Stanley penalty area, Charlie Lee smashed the ball home past a less than impressed Stanley Man Of The Match Kenny Arthur.

Ten minutes after coming on as a substitute Lee McEvilly was given his marching orders for violent conduct and replays show that McEvilly clearly stamped on Jamie Day. Asif it wasn’t hard enough for the Reds already.

A largely uneventful ending to the match was sparked in to life by a second red card shown to a Stanley player. A second yellow card for the former Burnley man saw him walk off the field early, McLean rapping things up with a neat finish moments after his dismissal.

Stanley have big improvements to be made.

Accrington Stanley: Arthur, Richardson (Brown 73), Williams, Roberts, Branch, Whalley (D’Sane 53), Proctor, Harris, Miles (McEvilly 53), Boco, Mullin.

Subs Not Used: Dunbavin, Edwards.

Booked: Whalley, Branch.
Sent Off: McEvilly (63), Branch (90).

Peterborough: Tyler, Gnakpa (Newton 81), Morgan, Westwood, Blackett, Low, Lee, Hyde, Day, Boyd, Mclean.

Subs Not Used: Jalal, Charnock, Crow, Keates.

Ref: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire).