Date: 11th May 2007 at 9:17pm
Written by:

MICHAEL Welch has vowed to come back to the Fraser Eagle Stadium to haunt Accrington Stanley, after John Coleman’s decision to let him go along with two others.

Mauro Almeida and Sean Doherty, also made depatures from the club in midweek, as Coleman tries to prefect his team ahead of the Reds’ second team in the Football League.

The 25-year-old, told the Lancashire Telegraph that he wasn’t suprised at Stanley’s decision to let him go, but the situation has made him more eager to prove the critics wrong.

‘It’s been a difficult last couple of months for me,’ said Welch talking to the Lancashire Telegraph.

‘I’ve not been playing a lot of games, but after coming on for the last couple of matches, and with the club achieving safety, I thought I might have a chance of playing a part and building on that next season.

‘Up until the point where John (Coleman) actually told me, I wasn’t sure what he would say. I had an inkling that he might not want to keep me on.

‘It’s up to me now to prove him wrong. It’s happened to me before with previous clubs.

‘Everyone’s entitled to their opinions, not everyone agrees with it.’

Welch is renowned for scoring amazing goals, and it was Welchy who actually picked up the Vital Accrington Stanley Goal of the Season award, for his 40-yard screamer away at Stockport.

‘This season has been difficult, being back in the league and being a professional club. There have been ups and downs, but I’ve really enjoyed it.

‘There have been a few high points, beating Wrexham at New Year, that was a big moment for me and the club, and of course, my goal against Stockport the season before.

‘The last game of the season was very special and I was glad to come on against my old club.’

The defender is now on the look out for a new team, but first Welch has to visit a injury specialist to sort out the ankle problem that has wrecked his season.

‘I’ve been struggling since the New Year when I got injured against Wrexham late on. It’s a chronic ankle injury that can flare up if I tackle someone or if I get tackled.

‘After playing a game I would have to miss training for a couple of days and I’ve not been 100 per cent since.

‘My aim was to get to the end of the season, get my ankle sorted and then get back to full fitness and carry on with Stanley, but that’s obviously changed.

‘I’ve got no hard feelings though. I’ve made some good friends over the last few years. It’s going to be a shame I won’t be there any more, but I’ll keep in contact with the lads.’